MRC is the voice of Minnesota's rural communities.
MRC 2022 Legislative Priorities
- Local Road Wetland Replacement Program: MRC supports at least $14 million in GO Bonds and at least $6 million in General Fund revenues. Multiple years of inconsistent and inadequate funding in the last decade led to near total depletion of readily available replacement wetlands.
- Rural Broadband Funding: MRC supports legislation that allocates $70 million from the General Fund to fulfill the fiscal obligation in the 2022-2023 biennial budget for the Border-to-Border Broadband Grant program. Without this action, the State risks losing out on the second construction season of the biennium. It is understood that federal funding is forthcoming and would be used to reimburse the General Fund.
- Emergency Readiness Grants: MRC supports a $3M increase in the base appropriation from the general fund to HSEM for grants awarded in equal amounts to emergency management departments in the 87 counties, 11 federally recognized tribes, and four cities of the first class, for planning and preparedness activities including capital purchases.
- Maintaining Regulatory Certainty of Waters Designated Under the Public Waters Inventory: MRC supports maintaining the regulatory certainty of public waters designations established under the Public Waters Inventory Program.
- County Based Purchasing: MRC supports CBP and urges legislative leaders to support and strengthen this critically important and successful health care delivery model.
- County Program Aid: MRC supports CBP and urges legislative leaders to support and strengthen this critically important and successful health care delivery model.
MRC Watch List Issues for 2022:
Antiquated HHS Computer Replacement Funding
Energy for Greater MN Mfg. and Residential Needs
County Mental Health Worker Retainment Funding
Support Surveyor Effort on Re-Monumentation Act
Payment-in-lieu of Taxes Funding Increase
Support Higher Bar on Executive Powers for Calling Special Sessions
Oppose New Truth-in-Taxation Rules